Sunday, August 22, 2010

Writing For Charity Event

I had an Awesome chance to go to a writing conference called Writing For Charity on Saturday August 21st.  This Event was designed to help Utah kids get new books to read.  There was a silent Auction, Author signings, Author panels and Q&A's with Authors.  Some of the great Authors that showed up were: Bree Despain, Jessica Day George, Emily Wing Smith, James Dasher, Shelia A Nielson, Dan Wells, Shannon Hale, Brandon Mull, and Brandon Sanderson, Plus many more!

One of the great parts of this event was that writers were able to get their first pages of their novels critiqued by a published author, I had mine critiqued by Bree Despain which I was really nervous about because I love her so much! But it turned out amazing and she gave me a lot to think about with my novel!

Some of the greatest advice I heard there was just keep writing.  First drafts are always horrible and you can't compare them to published works.  Read a ton, and internalize everything you read. Pay attention to things you love but also to things you hate.  Revise, Revise, Revise.  Great books are revised not written.  Don't get super attached to the first book you write, finish it put it away for awhile write something else then go back to it, while you put the new project aside.  Now you have choices!  Don't get too wound up in details for a first a draft if you get stuck just keep writing.

I had so much fun at this and it made me want to find more conferences and really get a critique group going. I only bid on one thing at the Auction I'll post pictures of it, I didn't win but that's okay and all the money went to such a great cause!



Until next time happy reading! or writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment