Friday, August 13, 2010

Review: Succubus Shadows



Succubus Shadows
By: Richelle Mead
281 Pages
Published by: Kensington Publishing Corporation
$15.00 (paperback)
Book 5 in a series of 6




What is this book about:

Georgina Kincaid has formidable powers.  Immortality, seduction, shape-shifting into any human form she desires, walking in heels that would cripple mere mortals-- all child's play to a succubus like her.

Helping to plan her ex-boyfriend's wedding is a different story.  Georgina isn't sure which is worse-- that Seth is marrying another woman, or that Georgina has to run all over Seattle trying on bridesmaid dresses.  Still, there are distractions.  Georgina's roommate, Roman, is cluttering her apartment with sexual tension.  Then there's Simone, the new succubus in town, who's intent on corrupting Seth.

But the real danger lies in the mysterious force that's visiting her thoughts, trying to draw her into a dark, otherworldly realm.  Sooner or later, Georgina knows she'll be too weak to resist.  And when that happens, she'll discover who she can trust, who she can't-- and that Hell is far from the worst place to spend eternity....

What I think:
I absolutely love how Richelle can make her characters jump off the page becoming living breathing people.  It's amazing that she can write a series and have these amazing connections between two characters from page one and by the time you reach book five you really feel like this relationship is a part of your life.  Georgina and Seth are no exception.  You feel your heart break when Georgina's does, you feel lost and alone when Seth does. 

The one thing I had a hard time with in this book was that Georgina had a huge period of time where she was helpless and I hated it! However I did love learning more about her past.  And the end, even though it was emotionally trying, totally made up for the part I disliked.  There were some devastating losses, heartbreaking moments, extreme happy events and emotional ups and downs.  Everything that makes a great book! 

I think I have a little bit of an idea of where this might go, or I at least have hopes.  If you want to hear them I'd love to discuss and get other opinions because I'm totally obsessed. but I don't want to give away spoilers here. 

I feel like books 1 and 5 are the strongest in this series so far, but everything is leading up to a very important ending I'm pretty sure!

All in all even though there was a part I disliked I still give this book:


3 comments:

  1. I love her Dark Swan series so in the back of my head there is the desire to read her other books. She has a great style - very real feeling even though the people are not. Newly following rom the PJV but I like to look at the blog and not just say "great blog!" Hope you'll come by mine: Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that books 1 and 5 were the best. This series is nowhere near as good as her Vampire Academy, IMO. I think Seth is somehow "in on it." I think Mead will shock us all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. **Spoiler alert if you haven't read this series:**
    Kelli: I think Seth is her husband from her mortal life. I think he never truly forgot her and has come back many times for her, as the priest as luc, as all the mortal men who have influenced her life. If that's true it voids her contract. I have a feeling the last book will be amazing! I do like VA better as well it's a stronger series as a whole but, Seth and Georgina are my favorite chacters:)

    ReplyDelete